Supervisor: Program Manager
Position Status: Non-exempt
Supervision Exercised: None
Revision Date: April 2021
Under the direct supervision of the Program Manager, networks in the private and public sectors to develop career-building opportunities for YouthBuild students.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain partnerships in the public and private sectors that will provide career opportunities that are aligned with YouthBuild students' interests and goals
- Assist YouthBuild staff members and students to identify and schedule career-related guest speakers, site visits, job shadow experiences, and informational interviews
- Participate in the facilitation of job club
- Develop and oversee an internship program for students
- Interview students relative to placements being sought
- Meet with trainees at regular intervals to learn their job and career goals or immediate needs
- Plan and organize job search skills workshops, including interviewing, resume preparation, and other skills
- Work with the director and board in marketing the program to potential employers. This will include developing and making presentations about YouthBuild.
- Ensure trainees are prepared before going to job interviews and conduct follow-up assessments.
- Connect trainees with viable job opportunities
- Work closely with employers of students to maximize student employment retention and success
- Provide evaluation, conciliation, and mediation between employer and employee post-job placement
- Network in the public and private sectors to promote awareness and enhance the reputation of the YouthBuild program
- Work as a staff member of the student services team
- Contribute to YouthBuild program refinements in ways that meet employers' needs and expectations
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills. and Abilities Required
- Job development and placement experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Understanding of the apprenticeship system in the construction trades
- Comfort in diverse business and corporate settings
- Excellent attention to detail and follow-through
- High energy and motivation to help young people succeed
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
- Most of the work for this position is performed in meeting rooms or construction/on-job training sites.
- Travel by automobile within the area may be required.
- Bachelor's degree in the social sciences, business, or related field, or equivalent experience.
- At least three years experience in job development and placement.
- Knowledge of the construction industry and major private and public employers in the area.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to persuasively present program and trainees.
- Ability to establish rapport and relate sensitively to a multiracial and multicultural group of young people.
- Experience in planning and conducting training sessions or workshops.