Supervisor: Program Manager
Position Status: Non-exempt
Supervision Exercised: None
Revision Date: March 2023
Under the direct supervision of the YouthBuild Director, facilitates in the instructional process, reinforcing instruction to individual or small groups of students in a classroom environment. Prepares instructional materials and implementation of lesson plans and provide routine support. Assist students with academic and/or physical needs for students to access the educational environment.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
INSTRUCTIONAL PROCESS / RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Teaching basic skills to students with varying academic levels while integrating reading and math skills, social justice and community issues, and culture (including language arts, social studies, and science). Prepare for classroom activities by distributing and collecting papers and other instructional materials for classroom instruction.
- Assessing individual student progress and adapting curriculum and lesson plans to the needs of the students. Implementation of lesson plans. Administer various tests as directed. Prepare mandated reports and documentation as required.
- Conducting and assessing student readiness to take TABE tests and coordinating with YouthBuild Director and classroom aide around testing dates and scores.
- Meet weekly with students to discuss educational goals, high school diploma attainment progress, and/or other needs.
- Keeping records in accordance with funding and staff needs.
- Assisting with the recruitment and intake assessment of prospective students.
- Attending all staff meetings and participating in programmatic activities.
- Act as point of contact for Education Assistant. Coordinate and delegate classroom duties to the Education Assistant as needed.
- Work with Membership Coordinator to implement classroom behavior management plans as needed.
CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT / RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform a variety of clerical duties in support of classroom activities, such as preparing, typing, copying, and filing instructional materials. Grade student tests and assignments, recording of grades and attendance, reports and maintaining student records and files as assigned.
- Operate and care for instructional equipment and materials. This includes preparing the room for the activity, obtaining the required material and equipment, operation of the equipment and the return of all materials and equipment to storage.
- Assure the health and safety of students by following established practices and procedures and maintain the learning environment in a safe, orderly, and clean manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
Communicates with the YouthBuild Director, Education Administrator, and Education Assistant regarding the program.
Knowledge, Skills. and Abilities Required
- Time management and ability to meet deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask.
- Problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to treat confidential information with appropriate discretion.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
- Most of the work for this position is performed in meeting rooms or construction/on-job training sites.
- Travel by automobile within the area may be required.
- Bachelor's degree, Special Education certification/experience preferred.
- Valid Driver's License.
- A minimum of two years of experience teaching basic skills to high school students, young adults, or adults.
- Flexible, energetic, positive individual with a commitment to youth development in a high-quality, respectful environment.
- Familiarity with the TABE, CASAS, GED, and other standardized assessments.
- Experience in creative curriculum planning and development.
- A respect for the ideas and intelligence of young adults.
- A strong commitment to helping young people succeed academically, reorient their lives, develop leadership and professional skills, and make a difference in their communities.
- An awareness of the effects of privilege and institutionalized racism on youth and a multicultural sensibility.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including collaboration with others around program issues and team teaching.