Supervisor: Director of YouthBuild
Position Status: Non-exempt
Supervision Exercised: None
Revision Date: April 2023
Under the direct supervision of the Director of YouthBuild, instructs program participants in National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER) certification. Trains program participants in construction and/or specific trades skills. Provides assessment of participants, and assessment of individual participant's progress. Accountable for participant's ability to perform satisfactorily when placed on the job at the completion of training. Handles confidential information.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in the teaching of construction skills, including demolition, rough framing, roofing, drywall, finish carpentry, sheet metal, electrical, plumbing, painting, and masonry.
- Assist in personal and vocational counseling and development of trainee's leadership skills in conjunction with other YouthBuild staff.
- In the absence of the Construction Manager, the Vocational Trainer will be responsible for the construction site, maintain production safety, and interface with subcontractors and inspectors.
- Teach the proper use and handling of all hand tools, power tools, and equipment.
- Inform the supervisor about material needs for the job site. Keep track of all tools and equipment used on the job daily.
- Instruct participants using the National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER) curriculum.
- Maintains trainee Skill Achievement Records, an on-site training log, and participant profiles, to provide workplace competency development reporting to both trainee and potential employers.
- Coordinates on-site training activities with other trades and with other organizations.
- Provide clear, workplace-focused supervision to trainees always. Monitors trainees to determine their level of achievement and coaches trainees in developing their skills and competencies. Coaches trainees in workplace success, job retention. and upward mobility.
- Stimulate interest in learning by using effective training methods and assisting everyone with his/her learning. Demonstrates a professional attitude towards work, including a positive disposition, mature conflict resolution approaches, proper workplace dress and behaviors, and acceptable verbal communication styles.
- Submit accurate and timely reports in accordance with grant and YouthBuild program requirements.
- Attend all staff meetings and coordinate individual plans with other YouthBuild staff.
- Provide additional classroom management support to staff or students and other duties as needed.
- Internal - Communicate with the Director of YouthBuild and the Construction Manager regarding the program.
- External - Communicate with the staff of other providers, prospective and/or current employers of program graduates, case management agencies, and organizations providing "live-work" opportunities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Time management and ability to meet deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask.
- Problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to treat confidential information with appropriate discretion.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
- Most of the work for this position is performed in meeting rooms or construction/on-job training sites.
- Occasional travel by automobile within the area may be required.
- High School Diploma or Equivalency.
- Minimum of two (2) years work experience in construction or related field.
- Flexible, energetic, positive individual with a commitment to youth development in a high-quality, respectful environment.
- Bilingual Spanish/English strongly preferred.